A Little History on the Kensington Town Hall
Kensington’s Town Hall was originally constructed in 1927 as an Armory for the Cannon Company of the Maryland National Guard’s 115th Infantry. It operated as the Town’s fire department up until 1947.
The Town Hall housed the Kensington/Garrett Players (K-G Players) from 1966-1974, when the State of Maryland closed the Armory. The Armory was eventually taken over by the Town of Kensington (TOK) to be used as the city office building, housing the Mayor’s Office and meeting space on the lower level. The upper level of the building (known as the Drill Hall), including the stage, had little use.
We began our relationship with the Town of Kensington in 2002 with Side Show. Twenty years later, Kensington Arts Theatre (KAT) is the resident theater group of Kensington. It has been a fantastic reciprocal relationship, and we hope it will continue for many years to come.
Finally it should be acknowledged that this move couldn’t have been made possible without the help and cooperation of the community leaders of the Town of Kensington, Mayor Tracey Furman, former Mayor Peter Fosselman, former Mayor Kitty L. Raufaste, the KAT Board of Trustees, and our friends and neighbors: the people of Kensington, Maryland.
For more information about KAT or our upcoming shows, please feel free to contact us at 240.621.0528 or email us at email@example.com.